Two-piece, powder-filled capsules are a popular solid dosage form for several reasons. They:
- Simplify the delivery of medication and are easier to swallow than tablets.
- Mask the smell or taste that often accompanies tablets or powders needing to be mixed into beverages.
- Use fewer excipients than many tablet formulations.
From formulation development to clinical studies and commercialization, we ensure a successful path to market using various techniques for manufacturing powder-filled capsules. From a manual process of hand-filling capsules all the way through to high-speed automatic equipment, we are ready to meet your project needs.
Our powder-filling and packaging equipment is engineered to be versatile, accurately dispensing and filling a wide range of products, while offering precision and speed. Thorough sanitary, verification, and maintenance programs are also in place to ensure cleanliness and accuracy.
Two-piece, powder-filled capsules can be band-sealed, a preferred option at Altasciences. Band seals provide tamper evidence for over-the-counter drugs and unique marketing/brand differentiation options through choice of band color. One method of sealing involves banding the cap-body joint with a layer of gelatin, while another uses a hydro-alcoholic fusion process.
Advanced equipment we use for band sealing powder-filled capsules includes:
- Qualicaps HICAPSEAL 40 Machine
- Qualicaps S-125 Capsule Banding Machine
- Schaefer Technologies Benchtop Bander Machine
Benefits of Two-Piece, Powder-Filled Capsules
Fast-Acting ― Capsules tend to break down more quickly than tablets, which may offer faster relief from symptoms.
Tasteless ― Capsules are less likely than tablets and powders to have an unpleasant taste or odor.
Tamper-Resistant ― Capsules are more difficult to split in half or crush than tablets. As a result, they are more likely to be taken as intended.
Higher Drug Absorption ― Capsules have higher bioavailability than tablets, making it likely that more of the drug will enter the bloodstream. As a result, capsules tend to be the more effective option.
Types Of Powder-Filled Capsules
Gelatin Capsules: The Market Standard for Many Years
- High-quality product that meets the stringent requirements of the pharmaceutical industry
- Excellent performance on high-speed capsule filling and sealing machines
Quali-V® Capsules: Hypromellose Capsules Made From Plant-Derived Materials
- Proven pharmaceutical performance
- Compliant with all compendia dissolution requirements
- Compatible with a wider range of excipients than gelatin
- Preferred for hygroscopic fills
- Exceptional for low-humidity applications, with no brittleness
- Maintenance of shell mechanical strength at low moisture contents
- Provide API protection against degradation in the gastric environment
- Achieve delayed or targeted release in small intestine
- Eliminate the need to enteric coat capsules
- Increase the speed and optimization of enteric performance
In need of powder-filled capsules for your drug development? Send us a message.
Explore All our Manufacturing and Analytical Solutions.
Our deep expertise and capabilities in a broad range of therapeutic areas encompasses preclinical and early clinical studies for both small molecules and biologics. We can manage your entire program, as well as provide comprehensive support research services and bioanalytical expertise.