Privacy Notice for California Residents
Last updated: July 04, 2023
If you are a job applicant that resides in California, please review our Privacy Notice for California Job Applicants to learn more about our practices with respect to the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information of job applicants.
Information We Collect and Disclose
As defined by the CCPA, “personal information” includes any information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular California consumer or household.
Personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- Deidentified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information excluded from the CCPA’s scope, including:
o Information collected as part of a clinical trial that is conducted in accordance with applicable ethics, confidentiality, privacy, and security rules of Part 164 of Title 45 of the Code of Federal Regulations, the Federal Policy for the Protection of Human Subjects, also known as the Common Rule, good clinical practice guidelines issued by the International Council for Harmonization, or human subject protection requirements of the United States Food and Drug Administration.
o Medical or protected health information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) or the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA).
o Personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
In the past 12 months, Altasciences has collected the following categories of personal information from consumers and disclosed such information to the following categories of third parties for business purposes.
|Categories of PI Collected
|Categories of Third Parties to Whom Disclosed
|A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.
Personal information types listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e))
|A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, or employment information.
Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
|Records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
|Internet or other similar network activity
|Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.
|Audio recordings, voicemail, or similar information.
|Legally protected classification characteristics
|Race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, age (40 years or older), gender.
Please note that we may also use, disclose, or transfer your information in connection with the sale, merger, dissolution, restructuring, divestiture, or acquisition of our company or its assets. We may also disclose your personal information in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law, or regulation.
How We Collect Your Information
Altasciences collects these categories of personal information from the following sources:
- Direct collection: We collect information directly from you when you choose to provide it to us by filling out forms on our website, registering for a customer account, signing up to receive promotional or information communications from us, communicating with us, or otherwise directly providing the information to us.
- Collection via social media: We may collect personal data about social media users, including basic user profile information (such as username), user-generated content (such as posts, comments, pages, profiles, or feeds) and associated metadata (such as time and location of a post or comment); contact details (such as name, email address, telephone number if made public by the user); and additional individual information published by the user (such as employer, profession, age, location, education information, habits, etc.). The type and scope of personal data obtained from social media platforms depends on the type of APIs and permissions set out by the respective platforms and the administrative permissions granted by consumers, where applicable.
- Third-party collection: We may also collect certain information from you indirectly when through third-party vendors when you interact with them through our website. This can include contact details such as name, email address, telephone number and any additional individual information you may have provided (such as employer, profession, age, location, education information, habits, etc.)
Sensitive Personal Information
Altasciences does not collect “sensitive personal information” (as defined by the CCPA) for the purposes of inferring characteristics about California consumers. Accordingly, we treat any such information as “personal information” consistent with applicable provisions of the CCPA.
Use of Personal Information
- Negotiating, entering into, and managing our business relationship and agreements with you or your company.
- Providing and optimizing your experience on our website and ensuring that our content is presented to you in the most effective manner.
- Fulfilling your company’s request for services and managing the delivery of our services.
- Communicating with you and responding to your inquiries about our services and your company’s request for services, including providing you with promotional and informational communications regarding our products, updating you about changes to our website, and investigating and addressing any concerns you have about our services.
- Developing, updating, and improving our services, the customer service experience, and marketing efforts, and otherwise improving our knowledge and insights regarding customers.
- Preventing and detecting fraud, financial crime, hacking activities, security breaches, and other unlawful activities in connection with the website or the use of our products or participation in our studies
- Enforcing our agreements with customers, complying with our legal or regulatory obligations, and defending or advancing legal claims.
- Performing other functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection or to which you otherwise consent.
Sale or Sharing of Personal Information
In the past twelve (12) months, Altasciences has not sold any categories of personal information or “shared” any such information for the purposes of cross-context behavioral advertising. Altasciences does not have actual knowledge of any sales or sharing of personal information regarding minors under 16 years of age.
Retention and Storage of Personal Information
Altasciences stores your data on its servers located in Canada and the United States. We make the security of your data our priority and have various measures to ensure safety, including firewalls, proxy servers and security monitoring at all times. In general, we only retain personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill your requests or the purposes for which the information was obtained. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include (i) for as long as we have an ongoing relationship with you, (ii) as required by a legal obligation to which we are subject, and (iii) as necessary to resolve any disputes or enforce our legal agreements with you. Note: Applicable laws require that, to the extent any data is collected from a Participant in connection with a study, the Personal Data of such Participant must be kept under the responsibility of Altasciences for a period of at least fifteen (15) years following the study. By signing the ICF the Participant is made aware of this legal requirement and that the removal of Personal Data from the database at Altasciences is restricted. If the participant has never been screened for, nor participated in a study and is no longer active in the database not required for legitimate business purposes, then their information will be removed no later than 4 years after the last recorded activity.
Your Rights Under the CCPA
The CCPA provides California residents with the rights discussed below. For convenience, and as required by the CCPA, we explain how you can exercise those rights, to the extent they are applicable.
1. Right to Request Information. You have the right to request that we disclose certain information about our collection and use of your personal information during the past twelve (12) months. Specifically, you may request that we disclose:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you;
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you;
- The business and commercial purposes for collecting your personal information;
- The categories of third parties with whom we shared your personal information;
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you; and
- If we disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, the categories of personal information received by each category of third party.
2. Right to Data Portability. You have the right to request that we provide copies of the specific pieces of personal information we collected about you. If a verifiable consumer request is made, and subject to any exceptions or limitations under the CCPA, we will take steps to deliver the personal information to you either by mail or electronically. If we provide the information to you electronically, it will be in a portable and readily useable format, to the extent technically feasible. Consistent with the CCPA and our interest in the security of your personal information, we will not provide copies of sensitive personal information we may receive from you (e.g., driver’s license number, other government-issued identification number, financial account number, health or medical identification number, account password, or security questions or answers) in response to a CCPA request, to the extent any of those items are in our possession.
3. Right to Request Deletion. You have the right to request that we delete personal information we collected from you, subject to any exceptions or limitations under the CCPA.
4. Right to Correct Inaccurate Information. If we maintain inaccurate personal information about you, you have the right to request that we correct that inaccurate personal information, taking into account the nature of the personal information and the purposes of the processing of the personal information.
5. Right to Opt-Out. Consumers in California have the right to opt-out of (i) the sale of personal information, and (ii) the sharing of their personal information for the purposes of cross-context behavioral advertising (as defined in the CCPA). Because Altasciences does not “sell” or “share” personal information, these rights are not available.
Exercising Your Rights to Request Information, Data Portability, and Request Deletion
To exercise the right to request information, data portability, or request deletion, you—or someone authorized to act on your behalf—must submit a verifiable consumer request to us by sending an e-mail to: email@example.com with the subject line: “CCPA Request” or calling us at 1 866-461-2526 Your request must include your name, e-mail address, mailing address, phone number, the nature of your inquiry and the context in which we may have received your information. If you are an agent submitting a request on behalf of a consumer, we may request that you submit a signed permission from the consumer authorizing you to make the request. In order to protect the privacy and data security of consumers, the verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative of such consumer; and
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
As indicated above, please be aware that the CCPA provides certain limitations and exceptions to the foregoing rights, which may result in us denying or limiting our response to your request.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a twelve (12)-month period. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request. We may also request that you provide additional information if needed to verify your identity or authority to make the request. We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you or the consumer on whose behalf you are making the request.
Response Timing and Format
The CCPA requires us to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt; however, we may extend that period by an additional forty-five (45) days. If we require more time, we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. We will deliver our written response via e-mail. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the twelve (12)-month period preceding the receipt of the verifiable consumer request. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select the format of our response; the format will be readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another. We will not charge a fee to process or respond to a verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing the request.
Our Commitment Not to Discriminate
Consistent with the CCPA, we will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights by:
- Denying you goods or services.
- Charging you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Providing you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggesting that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Changes to this Notice
We reserve the right to amend this Notice at our discretion and at any time. If there are changes to this Notice, we will post them here and update the “Last Updated” date at the top of this document. Continued use of this website after any changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes. Please check this page periodically for updates.
If you have any questions or comments about this Notice, please contact us at.
Phone: 1 866-461-2526
Attn: Privacy Officer
575 Armand-Frappier blvd.
Laval (Québec) H7V 4B3